Saturday 23 October 2004

Where have I been?

Liz, Ok, ok I'll post something. Anything to be a more active poster than Mr Cullen

So where have I been. Well, nowhere really. I just could not think of anything to post. Well I still can't but I'll try. I do find it quite hard to open up and talk/post about stuff, even if its just what I have done today. Thats just the way I am I guess. Everyone else appears to find it much easier to disclose what are often very personal subjects/topics. I don't tend to bring those kinds of thing into the open in any situation, especially in the very public blog universe. Although I do see some parallels between myself and a few of the other infrequently blogging bloggers in this little circle of ours.

Over the last week I have been building a new pc from bits, which went very smoothly, apart from when I accidentally connected the harddisks power cable across the live-earth connection whilst it was switched on, resulting in a blue spark, the pc shutting off and a few choice words to flood the room. Fortunately the only victim of this accident was the 13amp fuse in the power supply's plug and not the expensive and very electrically sensitive pc componants.

I think I now have everything installed and running as it was on the old system again. It takes ages to reinstall and configure everything from scratch, especially when there is 150Gb of it. Not going to run out of space for a while on this new system though as it has > 0.6Tb of storage space.

2 comments:

1 i z said...

Yay! Good to hear from you Shaun!

And I learnt something...well kind of...is a terabyte 1024 gigabytes or is it 1 trillion bytes. Similar question re gigabytes. The dictionary refs seem to give both options...

Of course the other question is, is why on earth do you need 0.6 terabytes storage????

See even the most everyday thing to one person is of interest to another. I sincerely believe that the secret to regular Blogging is to turn off the quality control switch in your head... my blog being a testimony to this approach!

I know what you mean about having reservations about putting personnal stuff up there for all too read, but it is actually one of the reasons I started a blog, a sort of enforced openness.

Not that I don't still hold plenty back ;-)

...and I never actually put names to the fuckmuppets ;-)

Shaun said...

Liz its 1024 gigabytes, which is the same as a trillion bytes, well almost.
It should be as function of 2^x so a Tb is 1024 Gb, a Gb is 1024 Mb, a Mb is 1024 Kb, and a Kb is 1024 bytes.
Typically though they are rounded to nearest thousands, 10^3, 10^6, 10^9, 10^12 etc. Manufactures normally quote the bigger number which is the rounded number in most cases, but the computer itself will only get the 2^x amount of space.

Why I need that much is less obvious. I never thought that I would fill the last hard disk I had which was 160Gb, but I filled that up after a couple of years, so I thought I would get another 400Gb this time as its dirt cheap. If I was to delete stuff I no longer needed I would probably only have need for about 60Gb but I just keep everything instead. My spare room is operated on pretty much the same basis. You can't get to the cupboards because of all the stuff piled up on the floor....