Thursday 4 November 2004

Subliminal music. and cats

Having just discovered the frustration of having typed a half page of blog only for the sever to swallow it and throw out some truely pointless error message, this is going to be shorter than it was originally.
--------------
Music plays a large part in my life. Its the first thing I hear in the morning when I wake up,
not withstanding the cats meowing which could mean any combination of the following: "feed me","give me some water", "let me out", "let me in", "give me some attention", "hello", "its dark out still", "sorry, did I wake you up?", "you are asleep on my bed, get off", "thats mine too!", "I've got something sticky on my fur, please let me rub myself against you to wipe it off", "are you pleased to see me?", "look, its a dead [insert appropriate rodent/bird/frog/worm/insect] that I've just caught for you", "its raining outside", "I'm wet, so you need to be wet too", "coming through", "play with me", and probably "feed me some more".
Music is also the last thing I hear before drifiting off to sleep at night and given that I sleep with the radio on, I'm sure it is secretly brainwashing me to buy all of these cds [/me gestures towards shelf unit over there, sagging under weight of hundreds of cds]

It does however keep me company and make the house seem more lived-in than it would otherwise. The problem with sleeping with the radio on is that the music enters your mind directly without your knowledge, and you find that the next day you are humming a song that you can't remember hearing before.

A couple of songs that have joined me recently in this manner are
Little Yellow Spider by Devendra Banhart

and Everything I've got in my pocket by Minnie Driver

Both albums are quite different, but each in their own way are fantastic. Devendra has a strange story-telling way of singing, painting with music I guess. Whereas Minnie has a very clean singing tone, that is strangely hypnotic.
This got me thinking about how my musical tastes have changed and evolved over the years, from its early heavy metal/thrash/grindcore/speed metal origins to the mellow nature of the music I now prefer. Even so I don't think there is a single album on those shelves that I couldn't slide into the cd player and lose myself in completely for a while. There are many that I wish I could disappear into completely.........

1 comment:

Caroline said...

sally, you think thats scarey? my head has been resoundingly full of beatles tracks all week too and it's months since I last played a cd or conciously heard them on the radio.

Shaun your cats sound truely wonderful...